In 2024 I pieced a pineapple quilt, in blues of course! There were a LOT of blue strips leftover so last winter I pieced those strips into log cabin blocks. (I thought I had posted about those blocks but I can't find it.)
The plan was to wait until this coming winter and sew the blocks together then but I can't wait to do everything in winter, I need a finish now! I decided to sew the blocks into a Perkioman Mountain setting, I think it's just a more interesting design.
The first few strips in all of the blocks are light blue fabrics then the fabrics became medium blues then dark blues. When I sewed the blocks together, I couldn't see the design, the light blues are too light! The darker blue strips look like sticks sticking out into the white strips.When you take a close up look, the light blues don't look so light but they disappear when you aren't close!
I'm very disappointed with this quilt but now I've decided on a plan B. This flimsy is 96.5" right now. I had planned to add outside borders but I'm going to wait. This quilt is going to become a backing for another quilt. I don't know what that quilt is yet but I'll let you know when it happens. The borders will be added once I know what the size of the unknown quilt flimsy. I did stitch the outer edge of the failure so all those seams won't unravel.
In 2020 I pieced a quilt which I called Scrappy Barn Quilt which is set in a Perkioman Mountain arrangement. The fabrics are all darker in that quilt, you can definitely see the design.
Linking to To Do Tuesday, Wednesday Weight Loss, I Quilted This, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts
Awe but it’s still beautiful IMO!! I do see what you mean about the dark and light values, but I wonder how quilting would change and blend the fabrics?? I always think the flimsy looks better after being quilted, especially on the flimsies that I’ve been disappointed in. Have a great day, Gretchen!
ReplyDeleteI can see the design--maybe not as strongly as your original, but it's there for sure. I agree that quilting might help the design come out even more strongly. Such a lovely top! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/09/02/wednesday-wait-loss-500
I like both log cabin and split 9, but I think the split 9's are my favorite 😊
ReplyDeleteI love all your different blue and white designs, Gretchen! This one is definitely not a fail, just not what you had in mind when sewing it together. I think it would be a fun surprise to find this on the back side of another quilt!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Diann; it's definitely not a fail. I think they both are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHave to agree with everyone else - it is not a fail! I think it looks great and the design stands out. xx
ReplyDeleteThis quilt deserves to be a front. The design you created, while not what you had in mind, is unique and beautiful. Try this design again!
ReplyDeleteI completely empathize with your disappointment in the quilt not turning out as you'd imagined it. I had the same experience with a Drunkard's Path quilt that I made years ago and didn't realize until laying out the blocks that I didn't have enough value contrast in my blocks for the design to shop up in the finished quilt. Having said that, I also agree with all of your other internet friends who are telling you that this is still a gorgeous quilt even though it's not the quilt you thought you were making!
ReplyDelete