Thursday, August 13, 2026

Framed Squares Crib Quilts & TGIFF

Welcome to TGIFF! This my first time hosting and the experience is out of my 'normal' routine. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the link up.

I did manage to piece two simple crib quilts during my sabbatical. For the first quilt I used the fabric left from the Twinkle quilt. The background fabric looks yellow in the Twinkle picture but it's not. 


A close up of the blocks.

For the second quilt a Berenstein Bears layer cake was used. I did have to piece the strips around the squares and I did have to use some solid Kona fabrics. There wasn't enough fabric left to use for binding but I think I have some blue turquoise Kona that will work.


I think this fabric is really cute!


Here is a picture of the layer cake tag. I bought this layer cake from the resale table at the Jane Stickle retreat several years ago. 

I supposed there is a pattern out there somewhere for this baby quilt but I didn't use one. The individual blocks finish at 6", the quilts measure 48".

Now I  need to get them quilted, the babies are coming this fall. I also just found out, there's a 3rd baby coming but not until January. The fabrics and different pattern have been pulled but it will have to wait October to be pieced.

I also helped our 14 year old grandson make refrigerator dill pickles in July. 






This isn't quit right but please click the blue code and it will take you to the linkup.   https://fresh.inlinkz.com/p/90cb7804425c4a199a629718f816c38c

Sorry, I am so NOT computer literate! ðŸ˜’ 😖

I'm linking to Put Your Foot Down, I Quilted This!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts


16 comments:

  1. Two great little finishes Gretchen - good luck with that Linky! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely finishes, Gretchen--really nice way to showcase great fabric prints...Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both quilts are adorable! 🥰 Thank you! My friend regularly gives me her leftovers which I love to use to make scrap quilts. This pattern will be perfect. My friend hates playing with scraps or using up leftovers. There’s something not right with her.☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little finishes are so cute. Looks like congrats are in order x3! Yeah for the fridge dill pickles. What fun with your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little finishes. The bears are adorable! Kudos for you to host the link up. I hope it will be a good experience so that you would do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your finishes, especially the bear one as it brings back memories of reading those books to my kids many many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts are delightful. My girls loved the bear books, and so did their own kids when they were little. Brought back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously I am not computer literate because I tried to leave a photo of my finished quilt and it left a Google G lol!! Oh my. I’d love to try your refrigerator dills. I make refrigerator sweet pickles, but I’d love to give these a try if you’d email me your recipe. TIA. And you always have a hidden project in the wings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two great ones . I love that Bernstein Bears fabric - so cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling baby quilts, Gretchen. The Bernstein Bears fabric brings back lots of fond memories. Thank you for hosting TGIFF. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these quilts! I need to make 2 and if you don't mind, I'm going to use your idea! This is so sweet and perfect for a baby!!! Thanks for the inspiration Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own the pattern, it's simple and fast! Cut the squares at 4.5" and the sashing at 1.5".

      Delete
  12. Both are cute as can be & what fun making pickles with your grandson,sweet memories being made!🥰

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job hosting the TGIFF party and great job on both of these finishes! I have not thought of the Berenstain Bears in years but they sure brought back good memories of bed time stories in years past. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute are these 2 crib quilts! Well done hosting the link party - sorry I missed it - and also with the pickles! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. These little crib quilts are such a sweet way to turn leftover fabric into something meaningful. I especially like the Berenstain Bears layer cake version—it has that cheerful, nostalgic feel that seems perfect for a baby quilt. And making three quilts for three new arrivals gives the project an extra-special reason to keep going!

    I also love the mix of quilting and everyday family projects here. One day it’s piecing adorable squares, the next it’s making dill pickles with a grandson. Those are the kinds of simple moments that make a creative hobby feel even more rewarding. https://boomerangbet-italian.com/ is another place worth exploring when taking a little break online.

    ReplyDelete