Back in 2024 I pieced Radiant Blues which was a feathered star wall quilt. The feathered stars were foundation paperpieced using the free 16" pattern from Threaded Quilting Studio.
I only needed 9 stars for the wall quilt but 10 stars were pieced because I couldn't decide if I liked the dark star or not. I decided not to use that block so it has been hanging on a display wall ever since, guilting me to use it somehow.
I've finally come with an idea. I have a friend who is going to have a significant birthday in a couple of years. When I'm in between projects, I've been running 1.5" squares through the machine which eventually will be 2" finished 4-patches. I have made a lot of 4 patches, more than what are on this tray.
The 4-patches will eventually be sewn into 16 patch blocks which will measure 4" finished. Yes, those are small blocks but I've got plenty of blue squares.
One inch finished borders have been added to the star which now measures 20.5", the patchwork will surround the star center. This is another of my not having a physical pattern, just a vision in my mind. This is not going to be a bed quilt but a nice throw size for my friend. She will be very surprised.
Linking to To Do Tuesday, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot Down, I Quilted This!, TGIFF!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts
What a great way to use up that star. It's too pretty not to find a good place for it to be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteI've not checked in on blogs in a long time so I've missed things. Gretchen, you are still putting out wonderful work.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Not a lot of sewing happened in July but hopefully August will be less busy and I can start again.
DeleteI'm sure your friend will love it! This throw will be striking with the feathered star and the tiny squares. I love working without a pattern - it's always fun to see the outcome.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a lovely way to finish off your star. xx
ReplyDeleteYour friend is going to LOVE her surprise!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to use that extra block! Gosh this is going to be so pretty. Your friend will be so happy! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/05/wednesday-wait-loss-496
Hi Gretchen, that's a great idea. It's great to be able to use those extra orphan blocks. I'm sure she'll love it! Thanks for linking up to I Quilted This! Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to give that extra Feathered Star block a meaningful purpose. I really like the idea of surrounding it with tiny 16-patch blocks—it will make the center stand out beautifully, and a handmade throw is such a thoughtful birthday gift. I often enjoy browsing creative projects like this, and recently I also came across https://casinonomini.net/ while exploring different websites online.
ReplyDeleteYour friend won't just be surprised, she will be delighted. What a treasured gift. You positioned that central octagon perfectly.
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat way to turn that orphan block into a very special gift for your friend. I think the 1" squares are the perfect scale to complement your feathered star.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful - and it's using things you already had waiting. The feathered star block is gorgeous and the 16-patches will be the perfect addition.
ReplyDeleteI knew when I saw the colours on the picture at Frederiqués blog that this must be yours! Design as you go is my favourite way to make a quilt. Gail at the cozy quilter
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely project – turning an orphan feathered star block into a thoughtful throw for a friend's significant birthday. The idea of surrounding it with tiny 1.5" squares to create 4" finished 16-patch blocks is a great way to use up scraps and create a stunning visual effect. Your friend will surely be surprised and touched by such a handmade gift. For those looking for a different kind of entertainment, highflybet offers an alternative way to unwind. What's your favorite way to use up orphan quilt blocks?
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of finding a new purpose for a quilt block that didn’t make it into the original project. Turning the extra star into part of a special birthday quilt makes it feel much more meaningful than simply leaving it on the wall. I came across https://thor-fortune.bet/ while looking for ideas for using leftover quilt blocks and found some creative approaches worth trying. The small blue 16-patch blocks should also create a really interesting effect once everything is assembled.
ReplyDeletethis is going to be amazing!! I like that the block has guilted you into using it haha!!! I totally get it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a plan! I love Feathered Stars but have only made one --- also as a single block wallhanging. Great way to make use of the leftover block and your leader/ender patches. I think your friend will love it!
ReplyDeleteUsing leftover quilt blocks in a new project is a great way to reduce waste while creating something personal and meaningful. Small changes in borders, colors, and layout can give an older design a completely different character. More information is available at bassbet.
ReplyDeleteQuilt projects often become more personal when leftover blocks and small fabric pieces are reused creatively instead of being discarded. For a different kind of online entertainment, more information is available at casoola.
ReplyDeleteI love that the “extra” feathered star finally found a purpose instead of continuing to sit there and guilt you! The deep blue star surrounded by tiny four-patches should make a gorgeous throw, and I think the fact that you’re designing it from an idea rather than following a strict pattern will make the finished gift feel much more personal.
ReplyDeleteThose 1.5-inch squares are definitely a commitment, but having a couple of years before the birthday gives you plenty of time to let the quilt grow naturally. I can already imagine how striking all those little blue pieces will look around the star. And after some serious piecing, a little browsing atboomerang bet sounds like a reasonable break!