Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Puss in the Corner, the Flimsy

Puss in the Corner was started with blocks left from my Wilfred & Cloves quilt. All the fabrics from the original quilt have been used and I pulled more from the stash. Yes, it has made a dent, a small dent but still it has reduced the stash a little. 


Isn't this a busy quilt?

With side triangles you get a 3 patch block. Those little squares finish at 1" each, the quilt block itself finishes at 5-1/2".

A 2" finished border has been added to the sides of the quilt and she measures 90" by 104". The binding will be the same fabric.

I had originally planned to sew blocks for puss in the corner at the April Jane Stickle retreat. Plan B was to sew them at the November retreat which was also cancelled 😢. I wasn't going to wait until spring 2021 so I pulled the box and got going. Now I can cross this project off the list.

This quilt will never be among my favorite quilts, I'm a blue fan, but I do like this quilt. It was fun to make a quilt using a color combination I don't normally use.


Some people have mentioned I sewed this quilt fast. Strip piecing and chain stitching are a quilter's friend. If you remember, I pressed the teal/red blocks differently then the pink/brown blocks. The blocks locked together perfectly right. Here is a picture of the back.

For now the flimsy is going into the waiting to be quilted closet. I know I won't be hand quilting it, I'll wait until I need a quilt for someone then have it longarmed.

Of course there were 1-1/2" strips and small pieces left from piecing. I could place those strips and pieces neatly, tidy and orderly in the 1-1/2" strip box then close the lid until another day . . . but hey, where's the fun in that?

So what did I do? Started a new quilt of course, the Lost in the Crowd quilt. But the name of my quilt is going to be the Forever quilt because it's going to take forever to make! Forever definitely won't be a fast quilt and that's ok.

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek MakersWednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down

10 comments:

Katie said...

Wow - thanks for showing us the back and how you locked those pieces together. And I wish I had your porch for displaying quilts!!

This is gorgeous - I just love it. And thanks for linking to the Lost in the Crowd quilt - that's so much fun, too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

strip piecing can make a quilt go fast I think too - I hope you can get together with your quilt retreats next year

Ray and Jeanne said...

This may not be blue, but it is beautiful! At times, it is fun to sew different colors and someone always loves it. I am hoping that retreats are possible again in the spring; I do miss them. ~Jeanne

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow! Great quilt!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! I'm so glad those strips and pieces didn't end up neatly stacked in the strip box. That would have diminished some of the great dent feeling from the big quilt! Plus, Forever will be something to look forward to - to savor as it progresses. Thanks for linking up today! ~smile~ Roseanne

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

It's a fun busy quilt--great job! The Lost in the Crowd quilt looks awesome--a great winter project...thinking that'd fill up evenings in front of the tv or whatever.

Yvonne said...

It's gorgeous! It's proof that simple blocks can make a goregous quilt.

Marsha Cooper said...

Lots of work and very pretty.

For the love of geese said...

Wow impressive, that was a lot of work. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a lovely scrappy quilt. I know you're not crazy about the colors but they are a classic combination! The Lost in a Crowd quilt will take a long time but so worth it. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.