Sunday, November 1, 2020

Noah's Quilting has Started

I've started the quilting on Noah's Ark crib quilt. The outside border and the blue plaid border are both quilted with Sulky #12  variegated gray thread. I also stitched in the ditch along the green border with the same thread.


After I rolled, the next several borders were stitched in the ditch even though they weren't pieced. Again the gray variegated thread was used.

Yes, the green border looks very crooked, I had to even the edge of the plaid but I didn't do a very good job. This is a functional quilt, not a show quilt, I doubt the child will notice.



After the ditch quilting was finished in this row, I started quilting the waves. The panel has the waves outlined with a thin black line. I'm using a solid dark gray thread for that, again Sulky #12 thread. I think you can see where I've stitched. I also outlined the fish.

This crib quilt isn't going to be closely quilted since it's a panel, not pieced. I could do more quilting if I wanted to but I don't.

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanetteSharonKarrinGretchenDaisyConnieMonica and  Sherrie

Linking to Patchwork & Quilts, Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Design Wall MondayBOM's Away

19 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Happy November Gretchen... I sure love how you are quilting that panel... I like my quilt tight on my frame as you seem to have yours too... I know some like it loose and sometimes it may need that but generally I prefer a nice tight fit... I am feeling that the end of Appalachian Delight will happen before we move... I am pondering putting my son's wedding wallhanging in it to finish the quilting ... it needs more to balance the center with the outer bits. I think I can do a better job on my frame than in the hoop that isn't as taut as the frame can be.. we shall see... Have a wonderful week and stay warm :)
Kathi

Kim said...

This is a sweet quilt, Gretchen. The panel leads to whimsical quilting. I love the quilting on the waves.

Pamela Arbour said...

You are doing a fabulous job. I always look forward to seeing your progress on your handquilting. I just don't feel like I have time to do that in the near future. Your work is lovely.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a cute panel! The quilting is bringing out the image in a wonderful way,

Db said...

This is going to be a delightful quilt! I’m sure the edging will hardly be notice, they will be to busy looking at the quilting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are bringing the panel to life! the child won't notice any border that is not quite straight especially after the washing and drying that goes into a child's quilt

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

It's always magical when the hand quilting starts! Looking forward to your progress

Karrin Hurd said...

I love this quilt, and love seeing how you progress!

CathieJ said...

What a pretty quilt. I really like how you are quilting it.

Gail said...

Such a lucky little one to have a cute and cuddly quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

So fun to see your quilting on this project... I make the photos as big as I can on the screen to enjoy every detail!

K Reeves said...

Noah's Ark is such a great theme for a baby quilt, this one will be well loved.

Jenny said...

Very pretty, I love seeing how your handauilting progresses as you work your magic across the quilt.

nwpaintedlady said...

You're doing a beautiful job quilting this panel, even with the wavy green line. This is going to be one loved crib quilt. I use to do quite a few panel crib quilts. They're fun to do. I love the panel you picked.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are off to a great start. And you have already made a lot of progress. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your quilting is so beautiful, even with the minor problem a child will treasure a hand quilted quilt. Hugs

Bonnie said...

Your quilting is really great. I love how the waves look after you've quilted them.

Lynette said...

The quilting you're doing is perfect for this one. Yes, the wave stitching shows nicely. :) Cute fish!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty quilting for a cute quilt, I love your waves!
Thanks for sharing