Sunday, May 10, 2020

Hand Quilting Progress

Hand quilting is going well and this project shouldn't take months because it is a wall quilt and not a queen sized bed quilt. After quilting last Saturday evening, I was ready to roll.

Solid fabrics always show quilting so nicely.

Here are the individual blocks after quilting them.








When I was sewing these blocks together, I turned this block around and around trying to decide which way was the correct way. I never did come to a satisfactory decision.

It is the way it is, life goes on!

Whoops, do you see where quilting was missed? I'll go back and quilt that edge before I roll.

I'm using regular quilting thread in the embroidered blocks. The design shows but I wanted a neutral color for the background. I want the focus to be on the embroidery.

I had thought of stitching around all the embroidery but that would leave too much unquilted background so I decided on the circle stencil. I like it.


The full length photo.

I had assumed Grandma embroidered these flowers on muslin but I don't think so. Whatever this fabric is, it's a tightly woven, high thread count fabric.


Here is my needle after the first stitch on the embroidered blocks, remember, that needle is 1" long in real life.

Linking to Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall MondayBOM's Away

19 comments:

Kim said...

Ow wow, another most beautiful quilt on your quilting frame. Your Grandma's embroidered blocks are so pretty and as for your quilting.....perfect as always. I love the circles dancing round and round within each block. Beautiful quilting around the border, too. Love that colour blue!

Created by Kathi said...

I was wondering how you got those circles so nicely done and you marked them with a stencil then?? Awesome :) this wall hanging looks amazing! I like the angle you put the unsure block in... looks good to me... I love the circles and the chain in the border too... excited for next Sunday's show and share :) Kathi

CathieJ said...

I love how you decided to quilt those blocks. You are really showcasing your grandmother's embroidery. Hmmm, I wonder how many needles your grandmother went through when stitching those pretty blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that idea quilting in circles neat!

Angela said...

This is a fabulous quilt!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Yes the fabric we use in our quilts sure makes a difference. Your quilting stitches still look marvelous and I love heavily quilted quilts, it will sure help to preserve your grandmother's blocks!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Your work is so beautiful. Are you quilting over the embroidery stitches? I have a project to hand quilt soon and I'm not sure if I should do that, or if I should dodge the embroidery stitches like I did on a redwork quilt. What do you think?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such beautiful hand-quilting! I always enjoy seeing what you're doing. I was wondering the same thing as Sylvia, when hand-quilting a quilt with embroidered blocks, do you go right over and through the embroidery? Happy Mother's Day, Gretchen!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Beautiful quilt, love all the quilting
your doing...have a great day!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt, and blocks! Enjoy seeing your progress on this! Happy Mother's day!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't stitch over the embroidery, I don't white a stitch showing on the top. I try to make my stitch on the edge, maybe come up in the thread then back down almost the same spot. I'll try to show you what I'm talking about next Sunday. Happy stitching!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've responded to Sylvia's comment, I'll try to show picture next Sunday of what I'm talking about.

Robin said...

Oh, it looks so lovely. Hand quilting makes everything look better, don't you think?

Sarah said...

Beautiful quilting, this is going to be gorgeous!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love that circle design - what a great idea!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Faye said...

gorgeous quilt. I love the circular stitching

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Quilting in circles looks great on these blocks!

EirinH said...

Beautiful quilting, as always. I am impressed with how fast you quilt.
Wish you a great day!

dq said...

The circle pattern was a PERFECT choice! I love it!