Wednesday, January 1, 2020

What's Happening in 2020?

Lots of quilters are making lists, checking them twice, ready to start the new year with 1, 2 or more new projects, or, maybe even finishing older projects.

I had written a long, very long, extremely long post about my plans for 2020. When I was finished and read over it, I thought it sounded pretentious and pompous so I pressed the delete button. 

You'll just have to follow along and see what I work on this year.  I'm going to be accountable only to myself. To me quilting is a fun, enjoyable hobby, not a competition to see who has completed the most quilts in a year or even who has the most UFO's. 2020 won't be a record year of making quilts but do I plan to enjoy every minute of my sewing!

Every year I see quilters buying cute quilting planners for the year. Not me, I've been using the same spiral notebook I purchased from Dollar General 10 years ago for 25 cents.

At the November retreat, my friend Deanna gifted me a journal with a beautiful cover she made. Now I have a lovely planner which is priceless to me. Thanks Deanna, I love it!

Wishing you all a Happy New Year! 

Linking to Midweek Makers

7 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

That is how I look at my quilting also. Sometimes being online can make you feel so slow, but then I remember hey this is just suppose to fun! I never did get how someone would feel proud of how many UFO's they had in their sewing room, I guess I just love finishes too much! Looking forward to seeing your lovely projects for 2020.

Denice Barker said...

I agree, too. I am a slow quilter, using my hands. I don't use a machine (much) because I don't like it. I don't send the tops out to be machine quilted because then it wouldn't be mine. I've stopped buying fabric and use what I have (mostly.) Nor do I spend hours every day quilting. Sometimes I put it away for weeks. Thus I don't have piles to show on my blog but what's there is mine.

Julierose said...

I am with you on this, too; I cannot even tell you exactly what I made last year -- I just like the making itself...I have bought my last fabric (solids as I don't have many) for the time being...I am a slow
piecer and quilter ; and often go off the "quilting rails" to do other crafts...I hope your year is full of fun and relaxation...hugs, Julierose

Created by Kathi said...

I love the journal you were gifted last fall! What a precious gift to receive!
I print out free sheets each year to keep me focused on my projects bubbling all around ... I usually keep 2 or 3 projects going at a time... one piecing, one hand quilting, and one "other" projects like a bag or planning a project. Keeps me out of trouble... my long time UFO's get a spot on our big calendar we keep all our goings on in and birthday reminders etc. I buy a nice calendar at summer's end for inexpensive at that time... and when the new year rolls around I am ready.
I look forward to doing some embroidery this year on Miss Jane and some hand quilting on a quilt I just loaded.. beyond that I hope to make curtains and a new clutch wallet too. I will be watching for each post you put out to keep up with you... you keep me on my toes <3
Kathi

Pamela Arbour said...

I never have looked at the yearly planning that quilters do as a competition. I think it is interesting that you felt that way. I guess I am not a competitive person. LOL I am a finisher though and you wouldn't know it by my UFOs! My UFOs and fabric stash are what pushes me on. I am looking forward to seeing what you do this year.

Susan said...

I'm not into yearly planning. It only frustrates me when I don't meet the goals. I've found it better to just go with the flow!

K Reeves said...

What a lovely journal cover. I have made myself a list, but it's just for me; I always start a post and then, like you, delete it. :) Looking forward to seeing your projets!