Sunday, January 26, 2020

A Redwork Christmas Quilt & Quilting

I enjoyed the Holiday Blog-Hop Lori from Humble Quilts organized. After seeing all the lovely Christmas decorating, I was actually inspired to start a Christmas quilt!


I have several of Gail Pan's Christmas books and I've decided to trace off  the patterns, embroider them using variegated red thread and put them all into a quilt. 

The background fabric is white with tiny silver dots. Some of the blocks will easily be embroidered in one evening, some are going to take several weeks.


I decided to start with the blocks that take more time. I have a feeling I'm going to be very tired of this project by the time the last block is embroidered.

I'm using 3 strands of embroidery thread. You go through a skein fast when you use 3 strands.

I've marked the designs by using a blue Frixion pen. I would have used the red pen but it was out of ink. Any marking not covered by thread disappears with a hot iron.

I don't do a lot of Christmas decorating. This year I just put the nativity out. Our 3 year old grandson did the arranging. 

Notice a Duplo guy in the group along with the stuffed tiger. The 3 wise men also brought along a couple of marbles for baby Jesus.

I don't know if this project will be finished for Christmas 2020 but I'm hoping the embroidery will be finished by then.


For last weeks hand quilting I made it past the center triangle in the row.  







The block I'm working on now.

I keep getting asked what kind of batting I use. I'm using Hobbs Tuscany 100% Wool. I buy my batting from Connecting Threads when batting is on sale. It's on sale now! The sale lasts through February 11, 2020.

Linking to  Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Bambi's Show & Tell MondayMonday MakingDesign Wall MondayBOM's Away.

23 comments:

Sarah said...

There's nothing wrong with getting ahead for Christmas! I made some cards a couple of weeks ago! I love redwork and find it relaxing to do. Your is going to be beautiful. Are you trying to tell me there wasn't a duplo guy, tiger and marbles at the birth of Jesus? LOL

Julierose said...

Lovely redwork piece--so cute!! These will make a lovely quilt...hugs, Julierose

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Looking forward on your progress on your redwork Christmas quilt! I don't decorate much for xmas anymopre either.

Created by Kathi said...

I love how the 3 strands of red thread looks on your embroidery... are you using 2 layers of fabric or stabilizer /interfacing behind your redwork or is your fabric thicker so you don't need those??? I want to start an embroidery project soon (Miss Jane) and thought I would use some cotton stabilizer by Pellon SF101 but also pondered just a second layer of fabric ...
I love the progress on your quilting and over halfway is GREAT!!!!
Have a blessed Sunday and thanks for sharing that sweet nativity your grandson certainly enjoys :)
Kathi

CathieJ said...

Your embroidery looks very pretty. Yes, it is easy to get bored when you are working with all one color floss. Smart idea to start with the larger motifs. I love your quilting as usual. I like your grandson's additions to the nativity.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the redwork will make a perfect Christmas quilt and I love your quilting

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

I love that redwork project. The triangle applique looks really pretty.

Little Penpen said...

I love working on Christmas projects year round. And the quilt....💕💕💕...just gorgeous!

K Reeves said...

The rework with the variegated thread is a splendid idea, as is starting with the most intricate blocks! How many are there? Love your grandson's additions to the manger scene!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

It is such a treat to see all your lovely handwork, embroidery and quilting. Aren't we lucky to have grandsons to help us decorate?

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm not using any stabilizer on this project. The embroidery seems to be going ok and the thread doesn't show through the background. For other projects I normally just use a light weight fabric on the back for stability. We actually have two grandsons who are 3 but only one lives local. He's our entertainment!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Unfortunately I've run out of the variegated thread so I've starting using a solid dark red. I stopped at JoAnn fabric yesterday but they didn't have the variegated I wanted. I'll stop at a different store this week and pick up several skeins there. Until then I'll keep going with the dark red.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't know for sure how many blocks there are, I just kept tracing them but it seems like a lot! I guessmate at least 20? Once I finish the larger blocks, I'll count.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love Gail Pan's embroidery designs, and your plan to make a Christmas quilt out of several of them sounds lovely! I got a kick out of your grandson's set up of the Nativity. You have to love their creativity!

Jenny said...

Pretty Christmas embroidery, Gail Pan does lovely designs, and I have done several small ones of hers. Enjoy your stitching.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a lovely Christmas embroidery! And I got a kick out of the nativity scene "enhancements"!
Enjoy your hand quilting!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet stitching project, Gretchen!!

EirinH said...

Great embroidery, this will be a lovely quilt when done.
As always,- I am so impressed with your quilting.
Wishing you a great week!

Sue said...

Love the nativity. Gail Pan has sweet designs. Your quilt is gorgeous.

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilting is beautiful.

Jay said...

Love wool batting for hand quilting. Nothing looks better!

Denise :) said...

It's true, you do go through a skein fast when you use three strands, but I like the effect! I think it was smart to tackle the most difficult blocks, first. That way when you're getting a little tired of it, you'll be able to skate through them! I'm always amazed by the exactness and beauty of your quilting stitches. This will be a masterpiece when it's finished! :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The redwork looks great but I am still admiring your floral triangles.