Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Secret Challenge

Last fall a friend and I issued a challenge to our quilt guild. We each purchased enough yardage of a different fabric to cut 10 fat quarters. We took the fabrics to the guild and challenge people to join in the challenge. There were two groups since there were 2 different fabrics. Nine people (besides Lynn and I) signed up for each group. We handed out the fat quarter fabrics. 

At the next meeting, each of the participants were to bring 10 fat quarters of a fabric that coordinated with the focus fabric. These fabrics were passed out to the respective challenge groups. We are to bring our finished flimsy to show & tell at the June 2018 meeting. We were allowed to add some fabrics if we wished to.

I could not come up with an original idea for my project.  I had decided I was NOT making a large quilt, I wanted something small, maybe around 36" square. In January, Country Lane Quilts started a mystery BOM called Friendship Garden. This mystery started in January and ended in June, and it was for a 30" finished wall quilt. I also like the name Friendship Garden, it was my friends from guild participating in this challenge.


I've followed the mystery and this is my quilt. She measures 26-1/2" square. This is smaller than what the instructions said it would be, but everything went together fine and I didn't want a large wallhanging. 




These are the fabrics my group used. The focus fabric is on the left. The right fabrics are the challenge fabrics from the group. The separate black at the bottom is only I added from my stash. 

I've linked to Country Lane Website and the mystery quilt. The mystery was a free BOM. I don't know how long the free pattern will be posted.

I don't know when this wall hanging will be quilted or what I'll do with it but I accomplished the challenge!

This challenge wallhanging is #8 on my list of projects for the year.

It was hard to get the true colors in the pictures. All that shiny gold is hard to photograph!






Linking to Oh ScrapShow & Tell Monday With Bambi, Em's Scrapbag, Design Wall MondayLove Laugh Quilt, BOM's Away even though this wasn't really a scrappy project.

14 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You did such a great job with this challenge. I really like how you used the feature fabric. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice idea for a challenge and a great way to use a mystery pattern!!

Jill said...

A nice mystery challenge. Not too large. I am gravitating towards the gold fabric also. There is some in my stash and I have yet to use it. Lol.

gayle said...

Lovely fussy-cutting! The mystery was really a perfect choice for these challenge fabrics. Inspired and inspiring!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your finish here! Congrats on a lovely wall hanging from your mystery... to be honest mysterys rarely get done by me because I want to know what they will look like first! lol Kind of defeats the purpose though I guess. Have a happy Sunday Gretchen! Kathi

Jayne Honnold said...

I just love this idea of sharing fabrics and coming up with a design - original or otherwise - and sharing finishes by a designated date. Did everyone follow through? I would love to see pictures of the other finishes.

Karen said...

The focus fabric is very pretty and has variety of color making it easy to bring in more fabrics to the mix. You did well with using it.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Guild is next Monday, June 25th. I do plan to take pictures of all the projects if I don't forget my camera anyway.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Neat Challenge! I like your wall hanging. It will be neat to see all the different outcomes.

Bonnie said...

Lovely job. It's always a "challenge" to figure out fabric for a mystery quilt. Nicely done.

Susie H said...

Good job! I hope the others were as successful as you. It'll be fun to see what they come up with!

beth s said...

What a FUN project. Great job!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love what you made with this BOM. I still have the final border to go and I'm happy I decided to give this QAL a try. I used it for practice with machine accuracy.