Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Nearly Insane

I've started piecing another row of Nearly Insane last week and made good progress.


This row contains 13 blocks including the infamous block 18! Two of the block are the half blocks for the sides of the quilt. I won't have to piece anymore side blocks, these were the last ones needing to be pieced.

I found this piece of blue floral in my stash. It was used right away. I don't have a lot of small blue floral prints.


Here are the other blocks. 

These blocks were both very easy to piece.


These blocks were fairly easy too. Obviously the bottom block was more time consuming than the top one.


I'm changing some of the blocks to suit my preference and both of these blocks had pieces that were rearranged. I like my blocks symmetrical.

The bottom block was the most challenging block to piece. It didn't have the most pieces but she caused me some stress.



These three blocks were fairly easy to piece. I've got the flying geese piecing down now and can whip them out pretty speedily. The important thing is to make sure you over size your pieces. It make the piecing so much easier.


The block with the most pieces was this beauty, #42. She has a total of 120 pieces, more flying geese!

There is one more block to be pieced in this row and I'm giving myself plenty of time for her completion. With the few changes I made, block 18 contains 233 pieces. She should be completed by next Wednesday.

Sometimes I think about Salinda Rupp making the original quilt. I don't know if she hand pieced the blocks or sewed them on her machine or if it was a combination of both. I wonder how many years it took her to make this quilt.

I started piecing this quilt as a challenge and I am enjoying myself. I can't imagine piecing these blocks though without foundation paper piecing them.

Linking to - Fiber TuesdaySew Some LoveEsther's Wednesday WOW!, Sew Fresh QuiltsMy Quilt Infatuation, Finished Or Not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Show & Tell Monday With Bambi




16 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, those are wonderful blocks, pretty with the blue and yellow.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looking great! some of those blocks have so many pieces

Gretchen Weaver said...

Thank you.

Jill said...

Blue and yellow is a great color combination. I could not imagine doing those tiny blocks without foundation piecing either.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You do so well with the fabric selection. This is such a beautiful quilt. Congrat's on completing this section. Another row done - that is an accomplishment! I just know I need to get with the paper piecing technique. Do you take the paper out when you finish each block or leave it in until the entire quilt is completed?

Carrolyn V said...

Gorgeous blocks.....such fun! Always a positive blog with hope I can get more done on my UFOs......(Carrolyn V)

Karen said...

Now I am wondering what block 18 loks like. I will stay tuned.

Chantal said...

Congratulations for making all these gorgeous blocks. They are all so beautiful I can barely pick a favorite. Very well done. Enjoy the insanity, lol. ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've started working on block 18. I'm feeling the insanity for sure!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I hope you have time to get to your UFO's too. I assume you are pretty busy right now watching Gonzaga in the tourney. I hope it has quit snowing at your place.

Carrolyn V said...

Believe it or not.....it snowed this a.m. AGAIN. We are so sick of it! But enjoying my lamp and NCAA tournament. Perhaps the weather is to help me not feel guilty about staying inside to watch it.....and hand stitch! Very excited about Gonzaga!

Jayne said...

So many amazing blocks!

evaj said...

Wow!!Thanks for the inspiration and link to the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi Hug

Lynette said...

Wow, Gretchen! You have some amazing work here. Very nice small-size piecing! I made a Dear Jane top, so I know how much work goes into these little blocks. LOVE your color scheme, too. THanks for sharing this at BOMs Away. :)

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Beautiful work!

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks! You made a lot of progress. There's a lot of pieces in all of those.